So it's officially summer in Texas, which means I no longer need a sauna I can just stand outside in the shade and get my sweat on. Surprisingly I don't mind it all that much. I've always been a lover of weather in general: hot, cold, and everywhere in between. There are several things I love about a Texas summer:
1. Air conditioning. I can go from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned car to my air conditioned destination. I really think air conditioning beats the invention of the wheel, even though I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a/c without the invention of the wheel. But I'm not thinking that deeply about it. I like to keep my preferences small minded and self centered.
2. It takes me half the time to blow out my hair and it looks twice as good (this only applies assuming there is no rain). Fifteen minutes to Victoria's Secret super model hair. I can live through three months of upper lip sweat and pit stains for that little bonus.
3. WATER! The ocean calls to me the loudest in the summer. I'm coming South Padre! The rivers (and Texas has plenty) insist you lazily float on them while they do all the work of keeping you cool and taking you somewhere yet nowhere at the same time. Since we can't always make it to the ocean or a river there's always the pool! We are on a four year waiting list to get into the local pool (don't get me started). Hence we have once again taken matters into our own backyard with this magic...
Who has patience for pride these days? Not us. We are way too hot to pass up this little $30 gem of unadulterated refreshment. It's not like were swimming laps people. Think more along the lines of drinking beer and listening to baseball.
4. It's daylight, like, all the time. Well, most of the time. It's awesome. It makes getting up to workout/run in the morning a little easier. Mostly because I know if I don't get up early and do it I will suffer the heatstroke inducing, sunburn causing, general asswhip of an afternoon/evening work out.
5. Another excuse to eat Blue Bell's Banana Pudding ice cream.
6. All my teacher/school nurse friends are on vacation and we can hang out!
7. Summer fruit is kick ass!!
8. Snow cones.
9. Did I mention my hair looks fabulous today?
10. A little color on my skin (mostly in the form of freckles). There's some good vitamin D to be had out there these days. Just don't forget your sunscreen!
I know it's hot and there are a million things to complain about because of the heat. But who wants to be hot AND miserable?! Do your hair, get in your air conditioned car, go pick up a snow cone, come back and jump in your pool. It's Texas, for Pete's sake, you knew this was coming.